Internet censorship – YouTube
In the last case study, I have shown cases that got censored for unreasonable reasons. This time, I will study a case about YouTube not censoring videos that are supposed that they should be censored ASAP.
This year in the early January, there is an incident that grabs the whole world’s eyes. Logan Paul, a famous youtuber, posted a video onto youtube and got blamed by people around the world. Logan Paul was one of the most famous youtuber. He posts vlogs on youtube for a living and currently has over 17 million subscribers on his youtube channel(Maloney D., Hudson L., 2018 Apr). In December 2017, he went to Japan and got some vlogs about that trip posted on youtube. And in one of those vlogs, he filmed on a hanging dead body in Aokigahara forest which is also known as suicide forest. That video was posted on youtube for one day and already got six millions of views online. And soon he deleted the video from his channel by himself. And posted a video apologizing about that.
Although Logan had deleted the video very soon after getting criticized by the public, people are concerned about the youtube company’s reaction in this event. It is said that when the video was released to the public through YouTube, not only did the company not put down the video due to violations of the community regulations, but even it was manually selected by officials to put it to the top video list(Z. 2018). Like they encourage people to watch the videos that the youtuber make, as long as the youtuber is famous enough to help the company make profits.
This series of accusations gradually pushed YouTube to the public opinion center. As this is a very utilitarian act of a media platform.
Regarding this happening, youtube did respond to the public. However this is after a whole month when the incident happened. They responded in Twitter saying that they have been listening to everything that people have been saying and that they will improve and preventing incidents like this happening in the future. And they also paused all the collaboration of youtube and Logan as the punishment for his action.
We don’t know will things like this happen in the future, but they had definitely happened in the past. PewDiePie (Felix Kjellberg) posted a video made a video that included a slogan ‘Death to all Jews.’ which he paid a man to hold it for him(Kain, 2017) Although he stated that he was ironic and he later apologized. But because his channel is still the largest channel on YouTube, and he works closely with Disney Production Studio and with YouTube Red, people still blame YouTube for managing it well. Also, there were terrorist groups used YouTube to upload and monetize videos which are promoting terrorism(Kain, 2017).
When there are cases of youtube allowing inappropriate videos showing on their platform only because the producers of the video help the company’s business, Is the platform still a safe place for creators and advertisers?
- Maloney, D., & Hudson, L. (2018, April 30). YouTube star Logan Paul is ending his daily vlogs. Retrieved from https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/30/17303330/logan-paul-daily-vlog-ending
- BBC. (2018, January 11). YouTube punishes Logan Paul over Japan suicide video. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42644321
- Logan Paul’s Suicide Forest Video. (2018, April). Retrieved from http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/logan-pauls-suicide-forest-video
- Kain, E. (2017, September 19). YouTube Wants Content Creators To Appeal Demonetization, But It’s Not Always That Easy. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/09/18/adpocalypse-2017-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-youtubes-demonetization-troubles/#30f784056c26
- Z. (2018, January 11). 網紅Vlog遺體事件吵翻天，YouTube終於回應：我們有在聽 | 4Gamers. Retrieved from https://www.4gamers.com.tw/news/detail/34124/youtube-logan-paul-ban-ad-partner-red-monetization-canceled-
- 藍. (2018, February 10). 不知悔改？網絡紅人 Logan Paul 再闖禍. Retrieved from https://unwire.hk/2018/02/10/logan-paul-taser-dead-rats-tide-pods-youtube/fun-tech/